Tuesday, July 1, 2014

DIY Lace Pocket T-shirt

     Ever since someone explained to me what "DIY" stands for ('do it yourself') and I discovered Pinterest, I have been wanting to do my own DIY craft and post it on my 'imaginary' blog.  Finally, this afternoon, I was having another relaxing (yet unproductive) day trying to read through another round of 10 books from the library. (It's sort of on my 'summer bucket list' to read a lot this summer). All of a sudden I had an urge to do something with my day.  So, I went on Pinterest, and got ideas for a DIY project.  And this is what I came up with.

Supplies:

  • 1 plain t-shirt with a small pocket
  • 1 piece of scrap lace fabric
  • sewing needle
  • thread to match the color of your t-shirt
  • pins
  • scissors



Start with your plain colored t-shirt.  Mine was a simple grey t-shirt from the men's section at Wal-Mart. I liked the thicker fabric, high v-neck, and looser fit.



  1. Lay your lace over the pocket and line up the top edge of the lace with the top edge of the pocket.
  2. Start pinning the lace to the edges of the pocket.
  3. Trim the lace to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the pocket.
  4. Fold the edges of the lace under to meet the edges of the pocket. Repin over the folds.



5. Next, thread your needle with a color that matches your t-shirt.  For this project, I tied the thread as if I were going to sew a button, because I was working with lace, which already has holes in it.  
6. Then, begin to sew a simple stitch all the way around the pocket, but be careful not to sew the pocket closed at the top!


7. Now for the sleeves.  Since it was a guy's shirt, I wanted to make my t-shirt look a bit more feminine. I rolled the sleeves twice and pinned them in place.
8.  Then I sewed the top edges of the fold to the t-shirt to keep them in place.



And here is the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment